Jump to content

• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Google Sign In
  • Register Now!
Grass Outdoors Shade Purple Orange Blueberry Watermelon Apple Banana Strawberry Chocolate
WARNING/DISCLAIMER The OZ Stoners cannabis community contains information regarding cannabis & other drugs; it is designed for mature (18+) audiences only. This site in no way condones the use of cannabis by minors. The content here within this cannabis community is for educational & entertainment purposes only. Any buying/selling or trading of illegal cannabis seeds, clones, flowers, resin or oil is strictly prohibited within this cannabis community. - Login to remove this message
PHRESH For The Cleanest Air Around
Sol-Sense 315W Smart LEC Digital Ballst

* * * * *

The NCPIC Enthusiastically Embraces Medical Cannabis

The NCPIC has enthusiastically embraced Sativex and are now bringing Medical Cannabis to Australia. Know how the NCPIC are involved with Sativex and how the NCPIC is bringing medical cannabis to Australia? For those who don't know how the NCPIC are involved with "Sativex tm" and how the NCPIC is bringing medical cannabis to Australia, I will give a brief overview...

The NCPIC has enthusiastically embraced "Sativex tm" and are now bringing Medical Cannabis to Australia.

Is this a good thing? :applause: Or a bad thing? :thumbdown:
I have a few thoughts on this but would be very interested to know what others think? :gathering:

For those who don't know what "Sativex tm" is, just click the link.

For those who don't know how the NCPIC are involved with "Sativex tm" and how the NCPIC is bringing medical cannabis to Australia, I will give a brief rundown below......

If you saw this thread "Questions for the NCPIC", you will know the NCPIC themselves appear somewhat confused about exactly what their position is regarding medical cannabis in Australia. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Jan Copeland, Director of the NCPIC says...

NCPIC is not funded to work on medicinal cannabis as it is a specialist science.

NCPIC is not a source of information on medicinal cannabis. That is an important and interesting question for specialist scientists and they should be the appropriate sources for that kind of research.

We have no role in medical cannabis

Yes back again. I can only say again that medicinal use of cannabis is a specialist topic area and I am not a medical doctor. NCPIC is also not funded to deal with medicinal cannabis so that is why we don't comment on it in any detail except if I am asked in live media interviews but I make c;ear I am not expert in this complex area.

(1) The NCPIC have no role in, are in no way concerned with, nor involved in any way with, medical cannabis within the Australian community and nor are they a source of information on medicinal cannabis. Is that correct? Yes or No?

YES NO ROLE

But he truth is, the NCPIC does recognise the medical use of cannabis and the NCPIC itself is involved in bringing medical cannabis to Australia in the form of "Sativex tm" which is confirmed by the following quote from this NCPIC document ...

NCPiC researchers have been given sole rights to investigate the use of Sativex in the management of cannabis withdrawal. Sativex is a combination of THC and CBD in a
buc.cal spray developed by GW Pharmaceuticals in the UK. The manufacturers have granted NCPIC staff access to the drug and a matched placebo to use in a range of studies of its safety and efficacy in the management of cannabis withdrawal and consequently on the maintenance of abstinence from cannabis among severely dependent users because we have developed the only validiated cannabis withdrawal scale. There is an urgent need to fund such studies to allow NCPIC researchers and their collaborators to exploit this unique opportunity.

and is also confirmed by Jan Copeland who says......

....we conduct a range of original research projects, some funded by other research bodies such as NH&MRC. These include ...... our new study using Sativex for cannabis withdrawal which is a mouth spray of THC & CBD.

....GW Pharmaceuticals are providing us with Sativex for our upcoming trial but no financial support
....GW Pharma is a British Company
....We have NH&MRC funding for the Sativex trial which is around $270,000

The main aim and agenda of the NCPIC is to reduce cannabis use in the Australian community, so it would come as no surprise to most that the NCPIC would be using medical cannabis the way they are but it is medical use of cannabis none the less :yahoo:

Anyway. what are peoples thoughts on this?

And if you have any further information regarding this please post it here.
Strangely these doesn't seem to be much on the NCPIC site about it other than THIS. :scratchin:

Peace MongyMan

35 Comments

Photo
uncle chron
Aug 03 2011 07:39 AM

it has its up side and its down sides
the up side ...imo....is the fact that australia now recognises that cannabis has medical benifits :yahoo: .......which now opens a previously locked doors in the legal system. :uhhuh:

the down side is, its just not the same and these mutts have cornered the law to suit them :ack:
so its still just as illegal and these mutts become hypocrits :ack:

good thread mongy :bongon:
    • 5
Thanks for that Mongy, very interesting. I'm not exactly sure what I think yet, I am very cynical of anything involving the NCPIC.

I would definitely like to find out more about what they claim to be

the only validated cannabis withdrawal scale

specifically how they claim to have validated it and whom it was validated by.

What really stood out for me here was the word 'exploit', I can't help but think all the NCPIC are trying to do is exploit people.

Oh well, looks like I have a bit of reading up to do. I will try to look on the bright side as there are some possible benefits of this.

Naycha :peace:
    • 4
IMO! just another way to fund their inane research. They have the exclusive distribution rights in Aus. This will turn into a power and politics game. A game with no winners except NCPIC.
NCPIC do not want people to grow their own meds. They want to control who gets what, how and when.:ack:
    • 3
Wow you are on the ball MM, this is most interesting.

So from what I understand they are giving it to people to stop them from smoking cannabis but that is not addressing the medical use of sufferers at all.

This form of cannabis is not effective for glaucoma patients but may work for other conditions.

Shame on the Australian Government for leaving defenceless sick people with no option but to break the law in order to obtain relief from a natural medicine that is approved in more advanced countries.
    • 1
if i try to explain how i feel about this it will turn in to a rant cos i'm so pissed off atm..... so thanks guys.. +1 you've already posted just about everything i was thinking but in a much calmer and articulate manner than i'm capable of :ack:

you :censored: jan :finger:

:peace:
    • 1
Photo
Rose Gardener
Aug 04 2011 10:17 AM

you :censored: jan :finger:

:peace:

Hear Hear Dani!

I really want to add my two cents worth but I just know I will go off on a page long ramble/rant and it won't nearly be as intelligible as what's already been said.

I'm seeing my doctor today. I'm going to broach the subject of Sativex and my use of Cannabis for pain relief (among other things). He already knows I use it, and he hasn't voiced any negative opinions or concern which I am very pleased about. :thumbsup:

Let's hope those fools with their head up where the sun don't shine wake up and smell the buds! :ack:
Photo
CactusGumnut
Aug 04 2011 11:40 AM
NCPIC's stance appears to be that the cannabis plant has no accepted medical use, however if you recreate the same active ingredients in a lab and then put them into a pill, then they are useful. Large majority of patients trialling Sativex as a replacement for cannabis herb seem to be saying that the herb works far better. Why do these anti-cannabis peoples ALWAYS refuse to listen to anyone that actually smokes pot??
Problem;
Look there's too many ppl self-medicating and growing Cannabis cause its easily done in a citizens' suburban setting (in the Government's mind).

Solution;
License a Pharmaceutical Company to develop and market a safe Delivery system incorporating Cannabis's active ingredient (tax and control appropriately under Govt. guidelines)

All others who try to curcumvent this method of use shall be THROWN IN JAIL!!!!

Result;
Self-medicating and home-growing Cannabis will gradually be erradicated , exception being those lazy Hippy types who only use as recreational and prolly deserve some time in jail anyway ....

PROBLEM SOLVED

:bleh:
    • 1
Watch out everyone for that Frazz guy. In his above post he sounds like a government official. Possibly julia gillard, I'm not sure, but he Definately knows how the government operates.
Photo
uncle chron
Aug 04 2011 05:31 PM
yeah, sadly true Frazz :uhhuh:

its going to take hundreds more busts and people standing up for their rights (going through hell) before any laws change for the better :/

years :(

:bongon:
    • 0
What a fucking crock. Using Sativex for withdrawal? How about using it for things that actually HELP? Like pain management? Anxiety, stress etc... Marketing it as a 'withdrawal' support will allow them to categorise it in the same way that Methadone is used for Heroin addiction.
Photo
CactusGumnut
Aug 04 2011 09:23 PM

Cannabis does not need withdrawal support, what a total crock. If cannabis is addictive then I need to start smoking even more than all day everyday because when I run out of money I run out of weed, and it's no problem at all. :thumbsup:
    • 1
Photo
Rose Gardener
Aug 04 2011 10:04 PM

Likewise there Gumnut! No cash, no stash.

I do get some instances when I cry for some bud, but that's only because I hurt so much I'd cry whether I used the stuff or not! :/
    • 0
More of the same hypocritcial rubbish. ahhhh
It just gets me too fired up, thats why i dont read or come here often..

We are still just convicts! that need to be controlled in every way possible

well there my useless contribution :wallbash:
    • 0
Agreed! I am way too fired up to rationally talk about this. Just way pissed off man...

I want to go live somewhere where I can be left the fuck alone. Where I can make decisions on my own, after all I am an adult. I am thinking somewhere in the caribbean.

ill be in that one Posted Image
    • 0
What the NCPIC refuse to accept is that there is no such thing as "cannabis withdrawal"!

Firstly, most people who claim to be addicted to smoking cannabis, are in fact actually addicted to ingesting large amounts of nicotine mixed with cannabinoids into there lungs.

Secondly, the majority of people who use to much cannabis are doing it as a way to self medicate themselves for a underlying mental illness.

Just giving people cannabinoids in tablet form without treating there nicotine addiction and/or mental illness will probably have a high short term success rate, but will be incredibly unsuccessful in the long term with most chronic cannabis smokers. Although, I can see it being useful in certain situations.

btw, although I have major issues with the NCPIC's public stance on cannabis dependence, if they do get sativex accepted to treat cannabis dependence it would probably be the best thing to happen for cannabis law reform in my life time. I mean, this isn't some synthetic cannabinoid, it's actually THC & CBD extracted from the cannabis plant.

If it actually does get accepted for such a benign condition as "cannabis withdrawal", then you'd think it would have to be a lot easier to have it accepted for more serious medical conditions.  Also, it would help end the common perception in the Australian medical community that cannabis is unfit for human  consumption.

Peace
Photo
CactusGumnut
Aug 06 2011 05:23 PM

Peace

Yes on that point I would totally agree, that having the 'ingredients' in 'dope' being used as a medicine may move some opinions to the green side. It's also pleasing to hear that they will not be synthetic, but extracts from a real plant.
    • 0

Most citezens do TJJ. It is the government who do not know how to do their jobs. And we keep electing these parasites into power.:wallbash:
    • 0

Just FTR, cannabis = cannabis, dope = Heroin.
Photo
CactusGumnut
Aug 10 2011 02:17 PM

Just FTR, cannabis = cannabis, dope = Heroin.

Yes but it's kind of like the word drugs, which one does it refer to?
I never call cannabis dope, and aside from the odd culturally influenced linguistic slip I always call it cannabis, but I know plenty of people who like to call it dope so they can say 'there's a reason they call it dope you know!' *eye roll*
I always think of the chemical reactions in the brain when I think of certain drug terms.
Dope = Releases dopamine
Trippin' = Taken a tryptamine

??
    • 0
Hello all. I'm new. I thought this was an interesting thread to read through. I couldn't believe it actually. You guys/girls know this Jan Copeland chick? I saw her somewhere on television a couple of months back, and she got me so riled I sent her an email. By coincidence it was days after a particular incident that I was still really angry about. I'll tell here what I told Ms Copleand.

I'm in Cooma and there's a lot of drugs takers and alco's here. There is a girl here that smokes cannabis and when it's not available she'll seek out other drugs, sometimes heroin. I hadn't seen her for a while and recently she came over for help, looking half dead. I asked her what the hell she'd been doing? She says to me as tears run down her cheeks, I just couldn't find any cannabis. You see this? This is a crime. And it is happening all over the country. Kids particularly, turning to other drugs because they can't get cannabis.

I also passed on another example that involved my own dad. About 5 years ago he was a sixty year old chronic alcoholic who was an aggressive, violent, depressed man. I introduced cannabis to him about 5 years ago, and he is a completely different man. All of his aggression and depression is gone, he works now part-time, and he's happy. The difference has to be seen to be believed. He loves his smoke and doesn't drink at all now. And you will not find a stauncher advocate for cannabis. It changed his life and he knows it.

So one needs to ask oneself. How many alcoholics are out there that don't have to be? How many kids are out there taking pills and other drugs because they haven't got access to cannabis? How many lives are being destroyed? So for me the fight has gone beyond the right for recreational use. This is a fight for humanity. And so I told this to Ms Copeland and reminded her that everyday she works, she works against humanity. And the more successful the likes of her are, the worse they will make it. And put simply, people will die.

I think we need to start looking at this as a crime. Take care all.
    • 1
Photo
CactusGumnut
Aug 20 2011 03:38 PM

I think we need to start looking at this as a crime. Take care all.

I am interested what her reply was? You're right though, there is even a book called "Marijuana is safer, so why are we driving people to drink?" I have read it and it makes a lot of sense. Many times have I drank because smoking pot wouldn't have been socially acceptable, this should never have to be the case. When uncle 'bob' makes a fool of himself at the christmas party, is he drunk, or is he stoned? If he was stoned, he might eat all the snacks, but he's not going to vomit on the new carpet. Those against cannabis have literally ran out of material to throw against it, because time and time and time again all the claims are proven wrong. A link that says 'cannabis, when consumed in large amounts, over long periods of time, during adolescence, may increase the likelihood of bringing forward a psychotic episode in a small number of users' is NOT A LINK. That is clutching at straws at its absolute best. I know of people who have thought they were having a psychotic episode, because they became paranoid after smoking and I remember them saying "I knew it could cause mental illness!!" Of course after the weed wore off, my friend said 'next time I won't smoke too much' and we had a laugh about it.

This is us vs them - :wallbash:
    • 0
When it comes to Weed v's Alcohol there's just no contest! Same thing as saying 'Chilled dude v's Totally Aggressive Fucking Moron'!!! Hehe

Peace

You really know how to sum things up. I couldn't agree more with what you say. Medically and scientifically speaking you seam to really have a good understanding of the situation :thumbsup:

Kudos to you :bongon:
    • 0

Cannaversity Cannabis FAQCannabis Strain GuideCannabis Seed Bank GuideCanna Porn : Cannabis Photography
OZ Stoners 710 Oil Vapour Pen Kit
Drug Detox Kits, Toxin Detox Kits, Drug Testing Kits and Medical Condition masking products